Toolangi and Castella History
The first land selection occurred in the 1880’s, when Crown grants were made on a 40 year lease. As a result, people settled and the township grew, with the arrival of a pub, school, post office, community hall, church, and railway line extension to Yarra Glen, arrival of electricity, and the Melba Highway opening etc.
This progression paved the way for the Potato Research Station and the Strawberry Certification Scheme. Timber remains a valuable industry in Toolangi, fortunately not in logging alone, but also among the eco-adventurers and tourists who love to ride, walk and drive among the beautiful tall trees and forests.